Cemeteries and Their Stories,
Madison County, Indiana
Location: south side of CR 1100N (Bethel Rd.), between CRs 300E and 400E
This picture tells the story. The Norris Cemetery, once a remote family burial ground in the 19th century, found itself as part of a farmer's field in the late 20th. The land owner became tired of having to avoid the burial ground when working the land, so he cast the stones away and plowed over the graves. In the early 20th century, he was not prosecuted since laws protecting pioneer cemeteries were not enacted until 1973. The metal road sign, pictured above, memorializes the location of the Norris Cemetery and decries the desecration of what should have been sacred ground.
The list below is partial.
|ID||Names||Birth Date||Death Date||Cemetery|
|46491||NORRIS, SARAH||36Y. 4M.||APR. 9, 1871||NORRIS|
|46500||NORRIS, WILLIAM||JUN. 18, 1842||JAN. 26, 1868||NORRIS|
The only stone from the Norris that was not completely destroyed is the one pictured left. Since the original Norris burial ground is now part of a field for growing corn and soybeans, Calvin Norris's marker was placed as a memorial in the Walker Cemetery, the closest pioneer graveyard to the original location of the Norris. Calvin died August 20, 1874, "aged 58 y. & 14 d." His stone is just inside the gate of the Walker which is on CR 1250N between CR 300E and 350E.