Cemeteries and Their Stories,
Madison County, Indiana
Location: east side of CR 450E, north of CR 200S (on P. Wood farm as of 2005)
Family plot destroyed; number of burials unknown
Found in the archives of the Madison County Historical Society, an undated letter from a Mrs. Scott Johnston provides some information concerning this destroyed pioneer burial ground: "The cedar trees which were in cemetery were cut up and used as posts in the chicken yard. There was but one marker remaining when the Johnstons purchased the farm, that of Joshua Hurly. This was buried below plow depth, on a spot marked as a grave. The ground has long since been under cultivation."
An additional hand-written note on the letter adds that Joshua Hurley in 1880 lived in section 23, owned the northeast quarter, and lived [on] and owned the west half of the southeast quarter.
More investigation is needed to determine the precise location for this 19th century family cemetery.